Monday, September 8, 2008

Standing Up for Our Faith

Sunday Morning as I was preparing for church I sat down while to watch a little television. The program that was on was Meet the Press. And Tom Brokaw was interviewing Joseph Biden, the Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate. Now I’m usually not much for one on politics but I decided to stop and listen just to see what he had to say because I haven’t heard much from him. As I watched Tom Brokaw brought up the issue of abortion. As the discussion continued, Brokaw asked Biden where he stood on the issue. Brokaw quoted another democrat who had stated that the Catholic Church, which both this democrat and Biden are members, had not decided on the issue and had been debating it for the past 50 years, thus insinuating that the politicians couldn’t state one way or another. However church officials put out statements that the Catholic Church was against abortion. Then Biden gave his opinion which I completely agreed with. He then stated that he, like the Catholic Church, believed that life began with conception. At this point I was shocked, I had just heard a politician say that abortion was wrong and it was murder. But then what little hope I had was crushed. Biden then turned around and said that he couldn’t force his views on others though. That he couldn’t vote or push for abortion to be illegal because not everyone believed like he did. Basically he was saying that he would rather compromise his morals to get votes than to stand up for what is right. After hearing his speech about this I was totally put out with Biden.
It made me think that how many times do we do like Biden, not on such a major stage as the vice presidency, but when we know the truth but we decide not to stand up for it and let someone do or say something that violates our conscience. The scripture that comes to my mind here is the statement made by Jesus in Matthew 10:32. “So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven.” We must realize that to acknowledge Christ is not an easy thing. If it were then the whole world would be made up of Christians. Jesus tells us that if we truly follow him then the world will hate us. John 15:18 “If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.”
I wonder do we truly acknowledge Jesus in all that we do? Do we acknowledge him with all that we say? Lastly do we truly want someone who is willing to allow things that violate his beliefs to be done or at least not try to stop them from being done in such a high position in our country?

No comments: